Wednesday, April 21, 2021

EAT YOUR HEART OUT EMILY DICKINSON

 As I deal with my Prolia-fractured bones (see www.JoansBackboneDisaster.com) and macular degeneration of the eyes, my thoughts turn to the poet Emily Dickinson, who, while dealing with disabilities of her own, nevertheless turned out hundreds of brief poems, each an insightful gem!

To learn more about the life and work of Emily Dickinson, see: 

https://poets.org/poet/emily-dickinson

Here is my brief homage -- admittedly inadequate -- to this exquisite poet!

                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

      An Unexpected Source of Inspiration?

Roosevelt struggled with crutches, 

John Milton’s eyes couldn’t see,

Fate caught them both in its clutches, 

And now it has seized upon me!


I’ve studied the lives of these masters,  

Especially the blind and the lame, 

Who triumphed o’er body’s disasters, 

But I’ll pass on them all just the same! 


                        ###